Tuesday, March 6, 2012

              Review of Self Titled "Epik" EP


                Have you ever made plans to go to a show, found out a big ice storm was imminent, knew you shouldn’t head out, but did anyway?  Well, that’s what happened the first time I saw Epik, and it was worth the risk!  Their lineup consists of Tommy Mayberry on lead guitar and lead vocals, Jim Smith on bass guitar and vocals, Danny “Elroy Leroy” B. on drums, and Timmy Diamond on lead guitar.  Luckily, the next time, the weather was a little friendlier, and that’s when they graciously set me up with their EP “Epik”.

                I knew the beginning of the first song “Shred” reminded me of something, and I finally figured out it was classic Dokken…believe me, George Lynch would not mind the comparison.  It opens with a lightning fast guitar solo, with lyrics like, “See my fingers bleed as I rip through the night”… this song rocks!

                “Right now…it’s plain to see, I don’t want you and you don’t want me” is how the angry song “Now” begins.  This would be a good pissed off at your boyfriend or girlfriend song, as several times throughout, “I don’t care” is repeated…somehow I think they are trying to convince themselves more than their listeners, we’ve all been there!



                “Little Dreamer” is a Van Halen cover.  Now, admittedly, I had never heard the original until I listened while writing this review to make a fair comparison (I have friends who will give me a hard time for that one).  Epik’s version is more metal, sounds like it was originally an Iron Maiden song more than Van Halen.  They definitely made it their own.

                “Wyvern” – “a two-legged winged dragon having the hinder part of a serpent with a barbed tail.”  That pretty much sums it up, pay attention to the lyrics, they tell a story.

Next we get to the “love” song, “Perfection”…let’s keep this in perspective, there’s no fluff about it, but what woman wouldn’t want to be serenaded by, “In my eyes, you are perfection”?

                Now, on to some JUDAS PRIEST!!  No bias there at all, right?  There was a lot of Priest influence on the EP, so I wasn’t surprised to see “Desert Plains”.  Epik still made it their own, speeding it up a little bit.  Rob Halford hits some notes that few can, but Tommy was able to work it out in his own style, and did him proud!

                “Can You Feel Me” has a really catchy riff…now mind you, I’m not accusing it of being a dance song, but with lyrics like, “All the girls in the world I keep running back to you”, it will get you moving!

 Here’s how you can check out more from Epik:



No comments:

Post a Comment